For the seasoned investor it’s likely you have heard about tax deeds, but for the newbies, investing in tax deeds can be a bit overwhelming. Thinking back to when I was the new kid on the block, I simply had to learn the process through trial-and-error. Of course, since no two properties are the same, it can take years to figure out all the ins and outs. Having a handy-dandy checklist in my back pocket would have been a big help. To save you some time and effort, here a few tips to get started or even add to your checklist:
- Contact the local tax collector’s office and ask to speak directly to the person who handles the tax deed sales. Be sure to ask exactly what the process is to bid at the tax deed sale. For example, is the auction held in person or online. Be very specific with your questions.
- Ask for the property list and research this list for any properties that peek your interest.
- Next, you want to research the properties and check for any liens. Now, the only way to know for sure is a title search, so be sure to ask the tax collector’s office if a search has been performed already. Ask if there are any liens against the property, what type of liens exist and the names of the lienholders. Even better, get a copy of the title search. REMEMBER, if you are the successful bidder, you are going to own this property and all the baggage that comes along with it.
- Call an attorney (LIKE ME, you know the one giving you all this good advice!) to verify what liens you can eliminate in a quiet title action.
- BEWARE of companies that promise a quick fix. The only way to obtain clear and marketable title is through a quiet title action.
- Once you are the winning bidder and the tax deed is issued in your name. Don’t waste any time contacting any attorney (HINT-HINT 904-491-1083) to help you get your title cleared and on your way to the closing table.
CONTACT ME, Florida Quiet Title Attorney, Robert Peters, to help you with your Quiet Title action. I offer flexible payments and I can guarantee you won’t find anyone else across the State of Florida that will be more efficient and proactive as my office. Give me a call today at 904-491-1083 or visit the Quiet Title section of my website here. Be sure to check out my YouTube Channel and don’t forget to subscribe! Until next time, good luck investing!